For the past couple of weeks at Impact Church, we have been talking about The Bible. With all of the movies coming from Hollywood about Noah, Heaven & Jesus Christ, it is important to read The Bible for ourselves and beg God to speak. Last week we posted 5 tips to studying The Bible. Here are 5 more… If they help or if you have other tips that have helped you, please comment below!
- Remove distractions – If you have a hard time focusing, turn your phone off and put it in another room to charge while you are studying/praying.
- Know what you are going to read – If you’re looking for a good place to start, I suggest reading a chapter from the Book of Psalms and Proverbs (There are 31 chapters and about that many days in a month. Today is the 27th, so I read Proverbs 27 this morning.) in the morning and read through the Gospel of John in the afternoon/evenings.
- Before you open The Bible, pray – Ask Holy Spirit to help you understand what you read and for God to guide your reading. Psalm 119:18 is a great prayer to pray each time before you start reading.
- Read the bible like a relationship, not a rule book – As we read God’s Word, it should draw us closer to the heart of our God, not just be mechanics we go through the motions to do. If reading God’s Word doesn’t thrill your soul, you might be more concerned with a check-list than intimacy with God.
- Stick with it – If you miss a day or some time in God’s Word, get back into it as soon as possible! Don’t feel guilty. God loves you and is still eager to speak to you.
Take your bible and journal with you on vacations/trips this summer! A vacation from work doesn’t mean a vacation from your relationship with God! Also, it’s most likely when He can speak to you the loudest as distractions are cut away.
What tips would you share? Comment below.