I saw a vast crowd, too great to count, from every nation and tribe and people and language, standing in front of the throne and before the Lamb…And they fell before the throne with their faces to the ground and worshiped God. ~Revelation 7:9, 11
I love this picture of our eternal home: where we will surround the throne of God, worshipping him along with brothers and sisters from every nation, every people group, every language from earth. What a beautiful scene of the diversity created by God, perfectly united in worshiping Jesus. If this is our future reality in heaven, how can we get closer to seeing this reality of God’s Kingdom here on earth now?
We can worship in multiple languages and cultural styles! At Impact Church we sing songs in multiple languages, have prayer in various languages and seek to learn from people of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. We do this for a few important reasons:
- To see and participate in a picture of heaven on earth!
- To identify and unite with the global body of Christ worshiping Jesus around the world in diverse languages, musical and cultural styles.
- To welcome and include people in our community from multiple linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
- To empathize (in a small way) with our brothers and sisters who join Impact from different nationalities and mother tongue languages. Imagine walking into church every week and worshipping in your second language rather than your mother tongue. The small discomfort you may feel singing one song in another language may be a reality for many people who join us each week.
- To celebrate the beauty and diversity of God’s creation!
If you are interested in reading more on this topic, check out this book: Worship Together in Your Church as in Heaven