This is what Impact Church looked like 6 years ago. We were simply a group of followers of Christ who were coming together to read The Bible and do what it says. I still remember our first time gathering together in someone’s living room as a “church.” The eight of us looked at each other, wondering what we were getting ourselves into. So, we made a decision. We would just read the Bible and do what it says.
A “House Church” is simply a group of followers of Jesus who are meeting together in a home to intentionally draw closer to God together.
It didn’t take us long to realize that we were a CHURCH, even if we weren’t meeting in a building, or at 11 a.m. or dressing up in our weekend’s best. Here are some things we read in Acts 2:42–47 that helped us realize what a CHURCH should be doing, even if meeting in a house…
Acts 2:42–47 Says
- A Church devotes themselves to listening to God’s Word being taught.
- A Church fellowships with one another. This means they hang out together. Imagine having FUN with your church!
- A Church takes communion (Lord’s Supper) when they gather intentionally.
- A Church devotes themselves to praying together.
- A Church takes time to celebrate what God is doing in their midst.
- A Church uses their money to take care of one another.
- A Church makes a point to gather corporately with other believers they don’t intentionally see in their home. This happens weekly or even multiple times throughout the week.
- A Church shares meals together.
- A Church evangelizes and makes disciples together.
What About Now?
It has been hard to live out these tenants of what a biblical church looks like during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, we know that for the foreseeable future, we will be a church made up of many “house churches.” This is nothing new for Impact Church. We have been saying and practicing this for 6 years. So, have fun as we follow Jesus during these historic times! God is working!